Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Ossuary

I feel like talking about the Sedlec Ossuary for no reason, other than for the fact that I love it. It's remarkable - a triumph of art, a perfect example of the relationship between Beauty and Death. (Ironically, it's on my "bucket list.") Some may grow a little faint when they hear that the chapel is decorated with the remains of an estimated 40,000 to 70,000 people. Others want to hop onto the next plane to the Czech Republic.


  File:Kostnice03.jpg 

 Top left: A cross made of bones.
Top right: The entrance.
Bottom left: The crest of the Schwarzenberg family, who commissioned the artwork.
Bottom right: A chandelier made of at least one of every bone in the human body.

The artist signs his work.

All of the artwork was created by František Rint, and it was commissioned by the Schwarzenburg family. This was done in 1870; it's one more reason to love the Victorian era.

There's also another reason to love Jan Švankmajer, as he filmed a documentary of the Sedlec Ossuary, which you can watch here:

I'm a little obsessed with that video. I've posted it to my Facebook wall at least twice. It's fantastic.

I also (highly) recommend watching Švankmajer's other videos. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment